DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Parks and Lands → Get Involved → Advisory Councils and Committees → Forest Legacy Committee
Forest Legacy Committee
- In 1994
- At the culmination of the work of the congressionally mandated Northern Forest Lands Council. The Council identified over thirty-five actions to reinforce the Northern Forest regions traditional patterns of land ownership and use, the first of which was to ensure the consistent and adequate funding by Congress of the Forest Legacy Program. This recommendation came at a time when both public and private efforts were growing to protect forest land in Maine from conversion to non-forest uses.
- To focus on acquiring conservation easements or fee interest in lands in order to protect the traditional uses and public values of Maines forests.
- Advise the Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry, Bureau of Parks and Lands on program policy.
- Recommend projects to be presented to Congress for funding through the national Forest Legacy Program.
Grant Announced by the Forest Legacy Program
The State of Maine is currently accepting applications to the Maine Forest Legacy Program from interested forest landowners. To be eligible for FY2025 funding, applicants must first contact Jo D. Saffeir, Special Assistant to the Commissioner, by May 1, 2023 to discuss the proposed project and receive further application details.
Maine Forest Legacy Program Guiding Documents
- Map of Maine’s Forest Legacy Area (PDF 1MB)
- February 2020 Final Modified Assessment of Need (PDF 8MB)
Current Proposed Projects
- To be announced
Advisory Committee MeetingsNo meetings currently scheduled.
|Date and Time||Headline||Location||Additional Information|
|August 3, 2022 1:00 PM||Forest Legacy Committee Meeting||Virtual||Agenda|
|June 17, 2022 1:00 PM||Forest Legacy Committee Meeting||Virtual||Agenda|
|August 5, 2021 9:00 AM||Forest Legacy Committee Meeting||Virtual|
|April 26, 2021 2:00 PM||Forest Legacy Committee Meeting||Virtual TEAMS meeting||
Meeting link can be found in agendaAgenda
Advisory Committee Members
- Andy Cutko, Maine Bureau of Parks and Lands
- TBA, Maine Forest Service
- Jim Connolly, Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife
- Kaitlyn Nuzzo, The Nature Conservancy in Maine
- Eliza Donoghue, Maine Audubon
- Catherine Robbins-Halsted, Robbins Lumber
- Hannah Stevens, Seven Islands
- Peter Triandafillou, Huber
For more information, please contact:
Jo D. Saffeir
Special Assistant to the Commissioner
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
22 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0022
For more information visit the USFS Northeastern Area Forest Legacy program