Answers to Commonly Asked Questions
- Producer License Application
- Change from Resident to Non-Resident (PDF) or Change from Resident to Non-Resident (DOCX)
- Surplus Lines
- Application for Authority (Electronic) or Application for Authority (PDF) or Application for Authority (DOCX)
- Bond Form (PDF) or Bond Form (DOCX)
- Notice of Records Retention and Tax Payments
- Pursuant to Title 24-A M.R.S.A. §2016, monthly and quarterly reports must be made available for review by the Superintendent in your office at all times or delivered to the Superintendent within 5 days of request. This retention schedule is for Bureau of Insurance audit purposes only and may not be adequate to protect your other business or legal interests.
- TAX PAYMENTS - for procedures on filing your insurance tax payments, contact the Maine Revenue Services Income/Estate Tax Division at (207) 624-9753.
Maine individual non-resident producer licenses are perpetual so there is no expiration date and no renewal fees. Maine individual resident producer licenses are renewed automatically by our office the first business day following the Continuing Education (CE) due date, as long as all CE Requirements have been met.
Consultant candidates are required to have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the type of insurance for which they are applying. Consultant exam candidates must submit the Experience Affidavit at the time of exam. Consultant candidates who do not submit this form will be turned away from the test center. They will also have to pay an additional fee the next time they take the examination.
- Fee Schedule
- Authorization of Credit Card Payment (PDF) or Authorization of Credit Card Payment (DOCX)
- Continuing Education Provider and Course Search
- Continuing Education Requirements
- Continuing Education Waivers or Deferments for Active Duty Military Personnel
- Training requirements for Producers/Brokers to sell products on the Federally-Facilitated Marketplace
A producer must be appointed by an insurer to act as the insurer’s agent. Both individual and business entities are required to have an appointment with the insurer
- Appointment/Termination Form (DOC)
- Appointment/Termination Form Instructions (PDF)
- Producer Appointment Renewals (PDF)
- Producer Appointment & Termination Instructions (PDF)
- Title 24-A §1402 - (Producer Definition and Licensing Requirements)
The documents on this page are also available in hard copy by contacting the Bureau.