Curriculum Design and Development
The following resources and tools may be helpful when designing and developing comprehensive school health education curriculum. In Maine, how schools choose to implement standards remains entirely a local decision.
- 15 Steps for Designing, Coordinating & Managing Health Education Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment. A framework used by many Maine schools when designing and developing their comprehensive school health education curriculum.
- Characteristics of Effective Health Education Curriculum. See research-based characteristics of state-of-the-art health education curricula according to reviews of effective programs and curricula and experts in the field of health education.
- Description of 10 Health Education Content Areas (PDF). Description of topics addressed in each of the 10 health education content areas. See resources specific to these 10 content areas.
- Health Education Curriculum Assessment Tool. Developed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, this tool can help districts, schools and others conduct a clear, complete and consistent analysis of health education curricula. Results can assist schools in selecting or developing appropriate and effective health education curricula and improve the delivery of health education.
- Health Education Key Concepts (PDF). This document links key concepts in specific content areas to the health education standards and performance indicators outlined in the Health Education Maine Learning Results. It is a tool to assist school districts in deciding which health education key concepts should be included in a district health education curriculum.
- Maine Health Education Standards. The health education standards and performance indicators in the Maine Learning Results represent the essential knowledge and skills students need to be healthy individuals.