Nominations for 2022 Open Soon!
Teachers can be nominated by a student, co-worker, administrator, school or district committee, friend or family member. To be considered for the award and continue on with the Teacher of the Year (TOY) process, teacher candidates must submit written material to a Review Panel.
The nomination period for the 2022 County Teacher of the Year and 2023 Teacher of the Year opens soon. Please nominate a teacher!
Meet the 2021 County Teachers of the Year
To be considered for the County and Maine Teacher of the Year award, a person must:
- Hold the appropriate professional certification for your position
- Be employed by a Maine public school, including a public charter school, career and technical center, or a publicly supported secondary school (a private school that enrolls 60 percent or more publicly funded students, sometimes referred to as "town academies")
- Be actively teaching students at least 50% of full-time at the time of nomination and during the year of recognition
- Have been teaching for a minimum of five years - three of which are in Maine
- Remain teaching in the County for which you are selected during year of recognition
The candidate should:
- Be exceptionally skilled, dedicated, and knowledgeable
- Inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn
- Have the respect of students, parents, and colleagues
- Play an active and useful role in the community as well as in the school
- Be an articulate spokesperson who can communicate the issues and concerns of the classroom teacher to a wide variety of audiences, especially to other teachers
- Possess the energy to withstand a taxing schedule
- Be aware and informed of current educational reform issues
- Be committed to quality education for all students
If you’ve you been nominated for County Teacher of the Year, learn more about the process, what is required, key deadlines, and what to expect.
Tag us on Social Media:
Facebook: @MaineDepartmentofEducation1 @MaineTOY @MaineTOYA @EducateMaine
Twitter: @mdoenews @MAINETOY @MaineTOYA @EducateMaine
Instagram: @mainedepted @maineteacheroftheyear @educate_maine