The Milken Educator Award recognizes exemplary educators with an unrestricted, $25,000 award presented at a surprise school assembly.
This award -- funded by the Santa Monica, Ca.-based Milken Family Foundation -- has no formal nomination or application process. The Maine Department of Education appoints an independent, blue ribbon committee to recommend candidates who meet the Foundation's criteria.
Criteria for Selection
The Milken Family Foundation sets the following criteria for recipients of the Foundation's Educator Award:
- Exceptional educational talent as evidenced by effective instructional practices and student learning results in the classroom and school;
- Exemplary educational accomplishments beyond the classroom that provide models of excellence for the profession;
- Individuals whose contributions to education are largely unheralded yet worthy of the spotlight;
- Early- to mid-career educators who offer strong, long-range potential for professional and policy leadership; and
- Engaging and inspiring presence that motivates and impacts students, colleagues and the community.
- Milken Family Foundation. Learn more about the Foundation that sponsors the Milken Family Foundation Educator Awards.
- Milken Educa-tor Awards. View photos and videos and learn more information about the latest Milken Educator Award recipients.
- Maine's Milken Educator629 Award Recipients. An alphabetized list of the Maine educators who have received the Milken Family Foundation Educator Award since 1990.
In the photo: Michaela Lamarre, an eighth-grade science teacher at Saco Middle School is congratulated by students on Dec. 10, 2015, after learning she won the Milken Educator Award for 2015. Watch a video from the notification ceremony. | Read the press release announcing the award.
In the photo: Adam Parvanta, a technology integrator at Gorham High School was surprised during an all-school assembly on October 30, 2019. Watch a video from the notification ceremony. | Read the press release announcing the award.
Director of Marketing & Communications