Educational Disruption

Maine education statutes (MRS 20-A Chapter 211, Subchapter 5) make special provisions for students whose education is interrupted due to homelessness, foster care placement, 10 days of consecutive absences due to placement in a youth development center placement or unplanned hospitalization, for students who attend more than three different schools in a single school year, and for immigrant or migrant students (as defined in statute).
graduation Cap

When students are absent due to educational disruption, schools provide instructional materials so that students can continue making academic progress. For students in interim placements, the school may instead execute an Academic Programming Agreement and accept credits and work from the interim placement once the student returns to school.

Students experiencing educational disruption should have a current School Work Recognition Plan in place that outlines how they will be able to stay on track toward their learning goals. For students aged 16-20, the School Work Recognition Plan must include a description of what the student must do in order to qualify for high school graduation.

Maine Department of Education Diploma
It is critical when students experience educational disruption, that everyone involved with the student be committed to keeping them on a pathway toward graduation.
Occasionally, in spite of everyone’s best collaborative efforts and support, educational disruptions become a barrier to meeting local graduation requirements for a student.
The Maine Department of Education Diploma is intended to be a backstop option for such students. Students experiencing educational disruption may apply for this diploma if they cannot meet local graduation requirements but can provide evidence that they have fulfilled the following core state requirements:

Four (4) years or the equivalent in standards achievement

Social Studies & History

Two (2) years or the equivalent in standards achievement, including American history, government, civics, and personal finance


Two (2) years of the equivalent in standards achievement


Two (2) years of the equivalent in standards achievement, including one year of laboratory study

Fine Arts

One (1) year or the equivalent in standard achievement. 


If you believe you, or a student in your care, qualifies for the Maine Department of Education Diploma, please fill out the "Pre-Qualification for Diploma".  Once you find out you are qualified to apply, download the "Guidelines for Preparing to Apply for a Disrupted Diploma".  The document will let you know about the paperwork, information, and resources you will need for filing the "Maine Department of Education - Educational Disruption Diploma".


Jason C. Libby, Ph.D.
Education Pathways and Early College