Consultants FAQs

For more information, visit our section for Consultants.

How do I print my license?

The current process is for us to email a copy of the initial license to the primary/business email address provided at the time of application.  The email will generally be sent within 24-72 hours after license approval and will come from  

Duplicate licenses can be downloaded or emailed by visiting  You will need your Maine license number and Access Code.

How do I get a copy of my license?

You can request a duplicate copy of your license here. Go into the ALMSOnline service using your license number and Access Code.  Once submitted, the license will be automatically emailed to the primary email address you provide.

If you prefer to receive a hard copy of the license in the mail, you can request the duplicate by completing the paper Duplicate License Request form.  The fee is $10 and the license will be mailed within two weeks.

How do I renew my license? What is the fee?

Please wait to receive your renewal invoice via email and follow the instructions on the invoice. Invoices will be emailed 60 days prior to the renewal due date. Licenses cannot be renewed more than 60 days prior to the renewal date.  Maine individual resident consultant licenses are renewed automatically by our office the first business day following the Continuing Education (CE) due date, as long as all CE Requirements have been met and the renewal payment has been submitted. The Resident Consultant renewal fee is $50; Non-Resident Consultant renewals can be done via or by invoice and the fee is $100.

There is no expiration date on my license.  What is my renewal date?

Resident consultant renewal dates are based on their CE due date. Non-resident consultant renewal dates are 01/01/even years.

How do I change my contact information?

Address/contact information can be changed 1 of 2 ways:

  1. Electronically via ALMS Online with an access code. This will change your information for Maine only.
  2. Via paper form which can be faxed, e-mailed or mailed to the Bureau of Insurance. This will change your information for Maine only.

How do I obtain my Access Code?

Access Codes are included in the email with your initial license. If you do not have your access code, please submit your request via e-mail at or call 207-624-8475 and request Producer Licensing. Once an individual licensee logs in with their access code, they will be prompted to pick a security question and create a unique password for future logins.

I am a first time licensee, how do I get started?

As a resident consultant, you must take the appropriate licensing exam first.  You will need to contact our licensing vendor, Pearson Vue at to schedule the exam.  Once you have passed the exam, you would then submit the application to us for licensure.  Please see below regarding how to submit an application.

As a non-resident consultant, as long as you have an active resident Consultant license in another state, all you need to do is submit an application for licensure.  Please see above regarding how to submit an application. If you reside in a state that does not offer a consultant license or offer a license that is similar to our consultant license, you may take our exam to qualify for a nonresident consultant license.

What are my Continuing Education (CE) requirements?

Continuing Education requirements are located on this page Continuing Education | PFR Insurance (

Are there any additional exam requirements?

Yes. Consultant candidates are required to have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the type of insurance for which they are applying. Consultant candidates who do not have an Experience Affidavit form will be turned away from the test center and will have to pay an additional fee the next time they take the examination. The Experience Affidavit form can be found in the Candidate Handbook located online at

How do I submit an application?

Consultant applications can be submitted by paper application found on our website here, and submit by e-mail, fax or regular mail.

What are the application fees? Is there a military exemption?

The resident consultant application and licensee fee is $75.00.  The non-resident consultant application and license fee is $125.00.
There are no military exemptions.

Is there a Bond requirement?

Yes, both resident and non-resident consultants must have a $20,000 bond minimum.

What lines of authority can I apply for as a Consultant?

As a Maine resident, your line of authority will be based on the consultant exam you take.  Maine offers Property and Casualty and Life and Health. As a non-resident, your line of authority will be reciprocal with your home state.

Are there any contract requirements?

A licensee may not act in any further capacity for which a license is required without having first entered into a written contract with a client. The contract must include, without limitation, the amount and basis of any consulting fee and the duration of employment and must be in a form approved by the superintendent.  Examples can be found on our website.

I have a criminal conviction.  Will this stop me from obtaining a license?

Not necessarily.  There are certain convictions that can be considered for denial of a license; however, every scenario is reviewed independently and every applicant has a right to a hearing.  Please contact the Licensing Division with specific questions.

After I become licensed, how and when do I report administrative actions?  Criminal actions?

Administrative actions.  A licensee shall report to the superintendent any administrative action taken against the licensee in another jurisdiction or by another governmental agency in this State within 30 days of the final disposition of the matter. This report must include a copy of the order, consent to order or other relevant legal documents.

Criminal actions.  Within 30 days of the initial pretrial hearing date, a licensee shall report to the superintendent any criminal prosecution of the licensee taken in any jurisdiction. The report must include a copy of the initial complaint filed, the order resulting from the hearing and any other relevant legal documents.

Information can be reported by posting to the NIPR Attachment Warehouse (, e-mail to our office at or fax to 207-624-8599.

The following questions and answers provide general guidance with respect to producer, adjuster, and consultant licensing-related hearings. If you have specific questions, please contact the Bureau’s Licensing Attorney at (207) 624-8429.

Is there a fee to request a hearing?

There is no fee to request a hearing.

Am I required to have a lawyer for the hearing?

No. You may represent yourself or hire an attorney to represent you. 

How long does a licensing hearing take?

The duration of the hearing depends upon the complexity of the issues involved and questions that may be posed by the Hearing Officer and Bureau Staff.

When will I know the results of the hearing?

Once the hearing is concluded, the Hearing Officer has 30 days in which to issue a written decision.

What kind of evidence should I present at the hearing?

The administrative action for which you are seeking a hearing (e.g., a revocation, a denial) will tell you what the Bureau of Insurance staff must prove at the hearing and if there is a burden of proof on you. The Bureau of Insurance and its staff cannot give you legal advice or act as your lawyer; however, you may wish to present evidence such as letters of recommendation or testimony from colleagues or supervisors.

What is a 1033 Waiver/Consent?

Federal law, 18 U.S.C.  § § 1033-1034, prohibits individuals with felony convictions involving dishonesty or breach of trust (“prohibited persons”) from “engaging in the business of insurance” without the written consent of an insurance regulatory official. The consent is often referred to as a “1033 waiver” or “1033 consent.”

What is the definition of "Business of Insurance"? 

Under 18 U.S.C.  § 1033(f), the “business of insurance” means the writing of insurance, or the reinsuring of risks, by an insurer, including all acts necessary or incidental to such writing or reinsuring and the activities of persons who act as, or are, officers, directors, agents, or employees of insurers or who are other persons authorized to act on behalf of such persons.
This definition is broad and includes those individuals seeking licensure, but also applies to those who work for insurers or producer business entities.

If I want to apply for a Maine insurance license, do I need to apply for “1033 consent” before I apply for licensure? 

Yes. Resident applicants subject to 18 U.S.C.  § 1033 are required to obtain written consent from the Maine Bureau of Insurance before any license application shall be considered. If the license application is submitted with or before the 1033 application, the Bureau will not make a determination on the license application until the 1033 consent has been granted.

Non-resident license applicants must first file for written consent in the applicant’s resident state and provide documentation showing that consent has been granted (or that 1033 consent is not required by the resident state).

Who must file the application for consent? 

A: The application must be filed by the applicant and contain all required elements as stated in the application.

I completed the application, what happens next?

Once the complete application is received by the Maine Bureau of Insurance, the Superintendent (or his/her designee) will review the application and determine if a hearing is required. If the Superintendent (or his/her designee) determines that granting the consent is consistent with the public interest and applicable law, the Superintendent (or his/her designee) will issue an order granting consent.

If a full hearing is required, correspondence will be sent to the applicant regarding scheduling the hearing. Section 1033 hearings are public and notice of the hearing will be posted on the Bureau’s website. At the hearing, the applicant has the burden of establishing that the applicant has been fully rehabilitated and no longer poses a risk or threat to insurance consumers or the insurer. The hearing officer must determine that the issuance of written consent to the applicant is consistent with the public interest, federal and state law and any applicable court orders.

At the hearing, the applicant will be under oath and may call witnesses and present evidence to demonstrate the applicant’s rehabilitation. Bureau staff may participate in the hearing as well. Once the hearing record has closed, the hearing officer will issue a decision within 30 days.

Am I required to have a lawyer for a 1033 hearing?

No. An applicant may represent themselves at the hearing or be represented by an attorney. 

Where do I send the completed 1033 Consent Application? 

All US Postal Service deliveries (including overnight express) must be addressed to:
34 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333 or they will be returned.

Please send private deliveries, such as FedEx and UPS, to the physical location:
76 Northern Ave., Gardiner, ME 04345.

Applications may also be submitted by email to

Please retain a copy of the application and attachments for your records.

How long does the 1033 Consent application process take?

Once a complete application is received, the Superintendent or his/her designee (hearing officer) will review the application and determine whether a formal hearing is necessary. If a hearing is not necessary, the decision may take up to 7-10 business days. If the hearing officer determines that a hearing is necessary, the applicant will receive communication from the Bureau regarding scheduling. It usually takes 14 days or more to schedule a hearing. Once the hearing is concluded, a decision will be issued within 30 days.

I have a felony conviction which may make me a “prohibited person,” but I have been working in insurance for many years. Do I need to get written 1033 consent?

Yes. Even if you are a current licensee, you must obtain written consent. 

Can I continue to sell insurance if I am already licensed and discover I am a prohibited person? 

No.  Federal law(18 U.S.C.  § 1033) does not provide an exemption for "Prohibited Persons" who currently hold insurance licenses.

I operate an insurance agency in Maine that employs dozens of producers. What is my responsibility?

It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that any "Prohibited Person" who is currently employed or being considered for employment has received written consent from the Maine Bureau of Insurance or appropriate regulatory official.

I work for an agency scheduling appointments for licensed producers; I do not want to be an insurance agent. I have a felony conviction for forgery.  Do I need to apply for 1033 consent?

Yes. The definition of “business of insurance” is broad and includes all acts necessary or incidental to the writing of insurance by an insurer. If you are unsure about whether your position will necessitate written consent, you may contact the Bureau’s Licensing Division.

Once consent is granted, will it remain in effect indefinitely? 

No. If the conditions of the consent are not continually met, the consent may be withdrawn. The granting of consent by the Maine Bureau of Insurance is position-specific, so an applicant who is granted consent to work for one employer may not change employers without reapplying.

How do I contact the Licensing Section?