What the Policy Covers

Most homeowners and renters policies provide a package of coverages. The main types of coverage are described below. Renters policies do not cover the landlord’s building or the landlord's personal property.


Pays for damage to your house and permanently installed systems such as plumbing, wiring, and heating.  This also covers other structures that are attached to the house. The limits of the other coverages included in the package are based on a percentage of the limit you choose for the dwelling, but higher limits are available.

Other Structures

Pays for damage to structures not attached to the house and not used for business or rented to others. It includes coverage for damage to fences and pools.

Personal Property

Pays to repair or replace your belongings that are damaged, destroyed or lost from a covered peril. This includes furniture, electronics, appliances, clothing, and other items that are damaged or lost.  This applies even if your belongings are not on your property, such as while they are in off-site storage or with your child at college.

Loss of Use

Pays some of your additional living expenses if your home is uninhabitable while it is being repaired from damage caused by a covered peril.

Personal Liability

Covers your financial loss for injuries to someone else or for damage to another person’s property.

Medical Payments

May pay medical expenses for other people injured while on your property.