Covered Perils

Which perils your policy covers depends on the type of policy you buy. The most common are listed below. Each covers your belongings and your personal liability, and provides medical payments and loss of use coverage. All but the renters policy cover your dwelling and other structures.

Basic Form

The Basic Form insures your property against only a short list of perils named in the policy. It may only cover damage from fire and lightning. For an additional premium, Extended Perils can be added.  This covers damage caused by windstorm/hail, explosion, riot and civil commotion, aircraft, vehicles, smoke and volcanic eruption. Coverage for vandalism/malicious mischief can also be purchased.

Broad Form

The Broad Form policy includes all of the Basic Form perils, plus other named perils such as theft and damage from falling objects, weight of ice or snow, and freezing.

Special Form

This is the most common type of policy. It insures your property against all perils except those that the policy specifically excludes. Perils most commonly excluded are flood and earthquake.

Renters Form

The renters or tenants form insures your personal property against the same perils as the Broad Form.

Condo Owners Form

The Condo Owners Form is for owner-occupants of condominium units. This covers the same perils as the Broad Form. It provides coverage for the walls, floors and ceiling of your condo in place of the dwelling and other structures coverage.