Other Auto Coverages

Other coverages are available to cover your own vehicle's damage; while not required by Maine law, some may be required by your lienholder if you have a loan on the vehicle or if you are leasing it.


Covers damage to your vehicle from hitting another vehicle or object, or overturning.

Comprehensive or Other than Collision

Generally covers a list of other types of damage that are not the result of a collision. Damage caused by:

  • Missiles or falling objects
  • Fire
  • Theft or larceny
  • Explosion or earthquake
  • Windstorm
  • Hail, water or flood
  • Malicious mischief or vandalism
  • Riot or civil commotion
  • Contact with bird or animal
  • Breakage of glass

Rental Reimbursement

Covers some of the expense to rent a substitute vehicle when your insured vehicle is out of use due to an insured loss. Check your policy for details on this coverage.

Towing and Labor Costs

Generally covers the cost of towing to the nearest repair shop if the vehicle will not run or is stranded on or next to a public road; up to one hour of mechanical labor at the place of breakdown; and the cost of delivery of gas, oil, battery or change of tire (delivery only, not the cost of the item being delivered).

GAP Insurance

In the event of a total loss of the vehicle, this covers the difference between the actual cash value of the vehicle and a greater amount still owed on it (excluding extra items such as an extended warranty, rollover amount from prior loan, or late payment fees). It may be available as an endorsement to your auto policy, or you may need to purchase a separate policy for this exposure.