School Health-Related Services
This webpage provides information and important updates about policy and billing changes to MaineCare-covered services that are provided in an educational setting.
Resources for School Administrators and other Providers
- FAQ's for School Health-Related Service Providers Related to OMS' Restraint Guidance - April 24, 2023.
- Introduction to School Health-Related Services (PDF) - This is an overview presentation which highlights how Medicaid-reimbursable services are provided in Maine.
- MaineCare in Education 2022 School Health-Related Services Billing Guide (PDF) - This guide is for anyone involved in the provision of Medicaid services.
- CDS Non-Emergency Transportation Request Process Presentation (PDF) - This presentation explains how transportation requests should be made for the Non-Emergency Transportation program.
- January 2022 Stakeholder Presentation (PDF).
- January 2022 Stakeholder Session Recording.
MaineCare and Maine Department of Education Joint Training Resources
- Joint Guidance on MaineCare Reimbursement when Restraint is Utilized in Outpatient Behavioral Health Settings - March 6, 2023.
- Guidance on IEP Documentation (PDF) - May 2021
- IEP Documentation Training One Video - June 2, 2021
- Presentation Slides (PDF)
Virtual Meetings and Trainings
All providers who deliver MaineCare services in schools are encouraged to sign up to be part of the new "MaineCare in Education Sessions" team. You will receive information and resources about MaineCare-covered services in schools through virtual meetings and training opportunities. Complete the online form to register.
School Health-Related Non-Emergency Transportation (NET) Requests
Requests for transportation should be made by the provider. If a child has a service listed on their Individualized Education Plan (IEP), or Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP) and needs transportation to get to and/or from the medical appointment, it is the provider’s responsibility to arrange this. Providers should see the Transportation Broker List (PDF) and locate your town to see which broker to call.
2021 Posted Notices
Opportunity for Kepro Review of IEP Documentation for School Health Related Services Under MaineCare Sections 28 and 65 - August 27, 2021
Quick Reference Fact Sheets
- Accessing MaineCare in Schools (PDF)
- Audit Checklist (PDF)
- Medical Necessity (PDF)
- Parental Consent (PDF)
- Seed Payment (PDF)
If you have questions, please email them to the MaineCare in Education. You may also email Trista Collins, State Medicaid Education Liaison.