Maine DHHS employs over 3,000 people who work in 16 offices across our state to provide services to over one third of Maine residents. In 2021, the Department published A Strategic Plan to Advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at The Maine Department of Health and Human Services (PDF) and re-launched the Office of Population Health Equity at Maine CDC.
“We envision a diverse workforce in which every Department employee understands their individual and collective responsibility to actively promote equity and inclusion.” (DHHS DEI Strategic Plan)
- Increase workforce diversity to better reflect the communities we serve.
- Implement best practices for hiring a diverse workforce.
- Promote diversity through proactive recruitment and pipeline development.
- Cultivate a work environment that demonstrates respect and empathy for all employees and clients and leverages the strengths of their diversity.
- Publicly promote DEI efforts as a core aspect of health and human services work.
- Require all Department staff to demonstrate understanding of DEI and racial equity as a core component of professional and leadership development.
- Cultivate a work culture that is flexible, collaborative, and inclusive so all employees feel safe and are encouraged to contribute their diverse perspectives.
- Develop an inclusive infrastructure to advance data-driven health equity programs across all Department services.
- Develop infrastructure dedicated to health equity.
- Utilize a data-driven approach to assess health disparities and inequities throughout Departmental programs and policies.
- Increase supplier diversity.
- Provide outstanding public service that is informed by, and responsive to, the needs of the communities we serve.
- Ensure meaningful stakeholder engagement throughout the work of the Department.
- Improve language access.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion News and Updates
- August 2023: State Economist Amanda Rector presents Demographic Updates for Maine to State of Maine DEI Community of Practice (PDF)
- July 2023: Budget invests in Elder Justice initiatives to protect older Mainers and adults with disabilities
- June 2023: DHHS Awards Second Round of Grants for Innovative Projects Supporting People with Disabilities
- May 2023: DHHS Progress on Addressing Health Disparities in Maine
- February 2023: DHHS Releases Comprehensive Behavioral Health Plan for Maine
- November 2022: MaineCare Recognized as National Leader in Medicaid Innovation for Rate System Reform
- November 2022: Maine DHHS Builds on Key Accomplishments
- October 2022: Maine CDC Maternal and Child Health Program Awarded Competitive $5 Million Federal Grant to Further Efforts to Improve the System of Care for Pregnant People, New Parents, and Infants
- August 2022: DHHS Launches New Dashboard Highlighting Services By the Numbers
- May 2022: Maine DHHS Community Care Team Supports Nearly 30,000 People Affected by COVID-19
- November 2021: DHHS Has Historic Opportunity to Address COVID-19 Health Disparities With $32 Million in Federal Funding
- June 2021: DHHS and Community Partners Support COVID-19 Vaccine Clinics for Adults with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- April 2021: Maine DHHS to Establish Office of Population Health Equity
- September 2020: DHHS Issues $1 Million in COVID-19 Health Equity Improvement Initiative Awards
- July 2020: Who We Are and Who We Serve
For more information, contact Ian Yaffe, Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Ian.Yaffe@maine.gov.