Shared Living is one option in a range of housing and support services for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and/or Autism. Shared Living allows an individual to live in a family-style setting and become a member of the household, the family, and the community.
It is the intent of the Shared Living model to support people in one of two “family” setting options.
- The first option is a home owned, leased, or rented by the individual. Individuals are provided direct supports in this home.
- The second option is for the individual to join a family in a residence owned leased or rented by the family.
Who is Shared Living for?
Any individual with intellectual and developmental disabilities and/or autism who prefers to live in a family-type home, who is eligible for MaineCare services under the Home and Community-Based Waiver, and whose Person-Centered Planning (PCP) team has determined this to be an appropriate living option.
Developmental Disability Services does not support multiple people with disabilities living in this model unless the people are family members (ex. brother and sister, husband and wife) or have a long-standing relationship/friendship where they are clearly indicating their desire to share in this living model. All exceptions to this protocol will need to be approved by the OADS Program Administrator of the district in which the person(s) reside.
Shared Living Forms/Protocols
- Shared Living Guide for Individuals and Waiver Members (PDF)
- Shared Living Guide for Shared Living Providers (PDF)
- Shared Living Guide for Shared Living Oversight Agencies (PDF)
- Provider Questionnaire (Word)
- The Maine College of Direct Support
- Shared Living Home Visit Review Tool (Word)
- Part A Home Support Frequency Tool (Word)
- Part B Home Support Frequency Tool (Word)
- OTC Medication Approval (Word) or (PDF)
- Guardian Permission to Treat (Word) or (PDF)
- Medical Appointment Notes (Word) or (PDF)
- Medication Administration Record (Word) or (PDF)
- Controlled Drug log (Word) or (PDF)
- Shared Living Background Check Statement (Word)
- Shared Living Home Inspection Checklist (Word)
- Shared Living Home Visits Phone Contact Log (Word)
- Shared Living Member Record (Word)
- Shared Living QA Checklist (Word)