Volunteer River Monitoring
In 2009, the DEP launched a statewide volunteer river monitoring program (VRMP). The VRMP is a network of volunteer groups participating in quality-assured river and stream sampling. The program operates under a program-level Quality Assurance Program Plan (QAPP). Individual volunteer groups develop Sampling and Analysis plans to tailor the program-level QAPP to their specific project goals. As part of the program, VRMP staff provide annual trainings and certification, guidance about data quality objectives, technical support and assistance, data storage in DEP's Environmental and Geographic Analysis Database (EGAD), and annual reports.
DEP began work to establish a statewide volunteer monitoring program in 2004 because of the lack of standardization among volunteer monitoring groups and centralized access to data. In addition, a 2007 report assessed the need for a statewide citizen-based monitoring program and demonstrated the benefits of such an initiative. If you would like a copy of this report, "Citizen Stewardship and Monitoring for Clean Water in Maine", please contact program staff.
Kristin Feindel (Program Coordinator) - (207) 215-3461
Volunteer River Monitoring Program
17 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0017
Current Volunteer Groups
Contact your local volunteer group to get involved. Field sampling is generally June-September.
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection
Maps and Data Page - A wide array of data types available from MDEP.
Rivers & Streams - Biomonitoring Maps and Data
- Gulf of Maine and its watershed
Knowledge Base. (off-site) Catalog of datasets and documents for the Gulf of Maine.
- U. S. Geological Survey (Maine region)
U.S. Geological Survey (Maine region) - The Maine water science center-including flow data.
- Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve
Seacoast Watershed Information Manager - Provides tools and information to guide sustainable management of your community's water resources.
Training & Education
- Stream Corridor Restoration Handbook (USDA)
- Volunteer Stream Monitoring: A Methods Manual (US EPA)
- Watershed Academy: Online Training in Watershed Management (US EPA)
- The Buffer Handbook
- Nonpoint Source Training and Resource Center (Maine DEP)
- Streams - from the Gulf of Maine Research Institute
- Maine Rivers
- Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
- Downeast Salmon Federation
- Project SHARE - Salmon Habitat And River Enhancement
- Maine Environmental Policy Institute
- New England Interstate Water Pollution Control Commission
- Maine Department of Marine Resources
- US EPA- Office of Water
- River Network
- Adopt-A-Stream Foundation
- Izaak Walton League: Save Our Streams Program
Other Useful Links