The Division of Animal and Plant Health consists of the former divisions of Animal Health and Industy, Plant Industry, as well as the Animal Welfare Program and the Board of Pesticides Control. The Division has now expanded to include the Nutrient Management Program and Agricultural Compliance.
Some of the responsibilities of the Division are to:
- Protect the state’s plant resources from the introduction and spread of regulated insects and diseases;
- Prevent the introduction and spread of contagious diseases among poultry and livestock;
- Ensure the proper and humane treatment of animals;
- Ensure the proper management of farm nutrients;
- Investigate agricultural-related complaints;
- Enforce pesticide laws in Maine.