DHHS → MeCDC → Environmental and Community Health → EOHP → Fish and Game Guidelines
Fish & Game Safe Eating Guidelines
The Maine CDC issued new freshwater fish consumption advisories on seven waterbodies in Maine. The new advisories come after testing of fish in these locations found levels of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) above Maine CDC's recommended levels for regular consumption. Download a tipsheet (PDF) on frequently asked questions and answers about the new advisories. Read the Press Release.
The Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention is responsible for recommending safe eating guidelines for fish based on the presence of chemicals (MSRA 22 ß 1696 I).
Fish is good for you and your family if you follow the Maine Family Fish Guide (PDF).
Resources for the Public
- Freshwater Fish Safe Eating Guidelines
- Saltwater Fish Safe Eating Guidelines
- Choose Fish Low in Mercury
- Healthy Fish Preparation Methods
- New! FAQ: PFAS in Recreationally Caught Freshwater Fish
- FAQ: 'Do Not Eat' Deer Advisory in Fairfield (PDF)
- The Maine Family Fish Guide: Advice from the Maine CDC (PDF)
- Striped Bass and Bluefish Advisory (PDF)
- Choose Fish Low in Mercury Poster (PDF)
Contact Erin Arneson to order bulk quantities of print materials at email@example.com or 207-287-5307.
- New! PFAS in Fish Science Brief
- PFAS in Deer Summary Report
- Derivation of Action Levels for Setting Fish Consumption Advisories (PDF)
- Evaluation of the Health Implications of Levels of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-Dioxins (dioxins) & Polychlorinated Dibenzofurans (furans) in Fish from Maine Rivers (PDF)
- Final Report of the Interstate Workgroup on Evaluating Atlantic Coastal Advisories for Recreationally Caught Striped Bass and Bluefish based on PCBs 9/3/2008 (PDF)
- EPA's State and Tribal Fish Consumption Advisories Website
- Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Recreational Fishing Website
- Department of Marine Resources Recreational Fishing Website
- Mycobacteriosis in Striped Bass
PFAS in Fish Science Brief
Read a Science Brief (PDF) from the Maine CDC about PFAS in recreationally caught freshwater fish.
PFAS in Deer Summary Report
Read a Summary Report (PDF) from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife and Maine CDC about PFAS in deer harvested in the Fairfield area.
'Do Not Eat' Advisory for Deer Harvested in Greater Fairfield Area
Read a Press Release (PDF) from the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife about high levels of PFAS in deer harvested in the greater Fairfield area.
What Are PFAS?
Download a tipsheet (PDF) on frequently asked questions and answers about PFAS.