MaineDOT Safety Patrol
Safety Patrol on I-295 Keeps Maine Moving
Tell Us What You Think!
If our Safety Patrol has stopped to help you, we'd love to know what you think. Please click the button below to tell us about your experience.
Take the Survey
MaineDOT provides a Safety Patrol Service on I-295 between Scarborough and Freeport during peak travel times. The patrol enhances the safety of motorists and minimizes traffic congestion by offering specific services when vehicles are in insignificant crashes or suffer minor mechanical difficulties. The patrol can quickly remove a disabled vehicle from the highway and offer services such as changing flat tires, providing a gallon of fuel, clearing debris or towing the vehicle from the travel lanes.
The Safety Patrol can provide the following services:
- Expedite quick clearance by moving vehicles and large debris from the travel lanes.
- Provide one gallon of fuel.
- Provide water for overheated vehicles or motorists in need.
- Change flat tires.
- Provide mechanical assistance such as jump starts, minor mechanical repairs, tire inflation.
- Assist stranded motorists by calling auto repair firms or individuals who can help.
- Provide rides to a safe place or drop-off location when a vehicle is disabled.
- Clean up minor vehicle fluid spills and debris.
- Share information with other responders such as emergency services.
- Set up appropriate temporary traffic control tools.
- Assist other first responders such as law enforcement, fire and rescue, emergency medical services and other response agencies as needed.
Safety Service Patrol Schedule:
- The weekend following Indigenous People's Day to the week prior to Memorial Day Weekend (32 weeks) Monday - Friday from 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
The weekend prior to Memorial through the Indigenous People's Day weekend:
- Monday through Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Friday 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Sunday 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 pm.