Frequently Asked Questions
Septic Systems and the Maine Subsurface Wastewater Disposal Rules.
- How do I find a copy of my septic system's design? View answer.
- How do I know if I need a soil test? View answer.
- How do I know if I need a septic system permit? View answer.
- The design my Site Evaluator gave me will be expensive to install. Can I install a holding tank instead? View answer.
- I bought my undeveloped lot many years ago, and it recently failed a site evaluation. Is my lot "grandfathered" for a septic system because of the length of time I have owned it? View answer.
- If my undeveloped lot fails a site evaluation, is there some form of advanced treatment unit that I can install instead of a conventional system? View answer.
- If my undeveloped waterfront lot fails a site evaluation, can I install fill soils to create a suitable site? View answer.
- My existing septic system has failed. What should I do? View answer.
- My existing septic system has failed. What happens if my lot does not pass a site evaluation? View answer.
- I cannot afford the cost of installing a replacement system. Is there help available? View answer.