Hemlock Quarantine Information
Maine has a Hemlock Woolly Adelgid (HWA) Quarantine (DOC 44KB) to prevent the spread of HWA in the state. To ensure you comply with the quarantine, follow the steps below.
Importing hemlocks from another state to non-quarantined areas:
- Ask your supplier where they grow their hemlocks. Check the List of Counties Infested with HWA to make sure the trees are not coming from a quarantined area.
- Hemlocks grown in areas infested with HWA are NOT allowed entry into non-quarantined areas of Maine.
- the number of plants in the shipment,
- place (at least county and state) of origin, and
- a statement that the plants were not grown, held or exposed to any hemlocks in a quarantined area
Importing hemlocks from another state to quarantined areas:
There are no restrictions on hemlock destined to areas of Maine quarantined for hemlock woolly adelgid. However, it is strongly recommended that importers continue to source hemlock from un-infested areas and import only hemlock woolly adelgid free plant material.
Moving hemlocks within Maine:
Hemlocks grown or imported into hemlock woolly adelgid quarantined areas of Maine may NOT be moved to non-quarantined areas of the state, but may move freely within the quarantine area.
Hemlocks grown in non-quarantined areas of Maine or imported into non-quarantined areas following the steps above may move freely throughout the state.<