Agricultural Infrastructure Investment Program
The Mills Administration has invested approximately $20 million in federal funds to help Maine farmers and food processors improve critical infrastructure. This funding will enable farms and agricultural businesses to pursue upgrades that will mitigate the adverse effects of COVID-19, increase the supply of Maine-grown food, enhance supply chain resilience, and help grow and sustain one of Maine's heritage industries.
AIIP Update – July 19, 2022
Due to the high number of applications, more than 850 requesting over $177 million in funding, the review process is taking longer than anticipated. DACF is working hard to complete the application review process and intends to issue award notifications as soon as possible. Please note that the project completion date for funded projects has been extended to December 31, 2024 (from December 31, 2023).
About the Program
DACF is partnering with Coast Enterprises Inc. (CEI) to administer the Agricultural Infrastructure Investment Program (AIIP).
- The deadline to apply is February 25, 2022.
- Available resources:
A range of funding will be offered through AIIP, including smaller grants for on-farm improvements and larger grants for processing projects. There will be no match required and no minimum request amount.
Examples of eligible investments include:
- Capital improvements, including modifications to existing buildings and construction of new buildings;
- Upgrades to utilities (including water, electric, heat, refrigeration, freezing, and waste facilities);
- Growing, processing, and manufacturing equipment and construction;
- Packaging and handling equipment;
- Technology that allows increased capacity or business resilience (including software and hardware related to business functions, logistics, inventory management, plant production and monitoring controls, to enable extended or year-round production); and
- Technical assistance, including market research and feasibility studies, engineering and construction planning, land use planning, facility design and configuration planning, and other services that directly support future implementation of infrastructure-related capacity-building projects.