1. Home
  2. » Residents
  3. » Moving to Maine

Moving to Maine

Job Opportunities

Information for Newcomers

Getting a Driver's License

If you are moving to Maine and have a valid out-of-state driver's license, you can get a Maine license by:

Detailed information on laws, exams and licenses is available in booklet form. The Motorist Handbook and Study Guide (PDF) is for Class C licenses and motorcycles. The Commercial Driver's Manual (PDF) is the guide for CDL licenses. You can obtain these at any branch office.

Convert a Class C License

If you are converting a class C license there will be a $10.00 application fee plus the $30.00 photo license fee.

Conversion of a CDL license must be processed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles main office located on Hospital Street in Augusta. The telephone number is (207) 624-9000, extension 52122.

You must obtain a new license within 30 days of moving to Maine.

Registering your Vehicle

To register your vehicle in Maine, you will need to visit your town government office with your title if your car is 1995 or newer (you don't need to bring a title if your car's model year is older than 1995), your out-of-state registration certificate, and your current, dated insurance card. Fill out a title application if necessary, and pay all applicable fees.

Vanity plates: $25 annually, in addition to the regular registration fee Specialty plates: add an extra $20 in first year, $15 extra in each year after. Check vanity plate availability or order a vanity plate online

Excise Tax is paid yearly when you register your vehicle. This tax goes to the municipality and varies according to the value and age of your vehicle. The price ranges from $4 to $24 per $1000 of value. This is a tax which often surprises newcomers to Maine

Registration Renewal

You are not sent a renewal notice for your registration. It is up to you to remember to renew your registration at the appropriate time by visiting your town office. If you live in a participating town, you can renew your registration online using the Rapid Renewal system.

Register to Vote

You may register to vote at your town office, through any Motor Vehicle branch office, through most state and federal social service agencies, or at voter registration drives. Completed voter registration cards may be hand delivered or mailed to your town office or the Secretary of State.

Maine Voter Guide for more information about how to register.