The Office of Professional and Occupational Regulation (OPOR) encourages active and retired military and military spouses to apply for a Maine occupational or professional license. We invite you to contact us for assistance with your application and to receive appropriate credit for your military training and experience.
For OPOR-regulated professions, there are several pathways to licensure for current or former military and their spouses.
- Active military or spouses moving to Maine pursuant to military orders: You may be eligible for a Maine license if you are relocating to Maine under military orders pursuant to the federal Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). For more information, please contact licensing board staff.
- Active or recently separated military: Active or recently separated military, or their spouse, can receive a Temporary Maine License while they apply for their full Maine license. We recommend contacting licensing board staff prior to submitting an application since it may be more advantageous to apply for full licensure Click here for the Temporary Maine License Application (PDF).
- Veterans with military service, experience and training: Veterans with military service may submit evidence of their military experience and training which may be used in evaluating eligibility for examination and licensure.
- Veterans and Gold Star Spouses receive application processing priority. For more information, click here to see the OPOR Policy on Veteran Preference (PDF).
We encourage you to contact us for more information and to discuss your licensing options:
- Boiler, Electrical, Fuel, and Plumbing Professions – Please contact Peter Holmes (207-624-8608) or email the office.
- All other professions or occupations regulated by the Department - Please contact Commissioner Anne Head at 207-624-8511 or Anne.L.Head@maine.gov.
On behalf of the State of Maine, we thank you for your service!