Skip Maine state header navigation

Agencies | Online Services | Help

Skip First Level Navigation | Skip All Navigation


If you have a dispute with your bank or credit union you should first attempt to resolve the issue directly with the institution. If the bank or credit union fails to resolve the problem, you may file a complaint with the Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions.

Please refer to the comprehensive list of institutions operating in Maine to identify their regulator. Financial institutions supervised by other regulators may find this contact information helpful.

How to file a complaint with the Bureau of Financial Institutions

- E-mails should be sent to

Maine Bureau of Financial Institutions
Consumer Outreach Program
36 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0036
  • By Phone 800-965-5235 or (207) 624-8570
  • By Fax (207) 624-8590
  • Staff Directory
To file a complaint with the Bureau, please include the following information:
  • Your name and home address
  • Telephone numbers - home, work and cell if applicable
  • E-mail address (if filing electronically)
  • The financial institution, branch and employee name
  • Type of account involved - no account numbers please
  • Statement of your complaint including dates and amounts
  • How have you tried to resolve this complaint?
  • Is anyone else involved?
  • Have you consulted an attorney?
  • What do you want the financial institution to do?
Please do not include account numbers when filing electronically unless you use a secure email link.

Last Updated: July 22, 2021