Your Right to Vote in Maine

Maine has one of the most accessible voting processes in the country. If you feel you have been denied the opportunity to vote, please discuss the situation with the local clerk or warden. If you cannot resolve the issue, contact the Elections Division at 207-624-7650. To be eligible to vote in Maine, you must meet the following requirements:

  • 18 years old
  • United States Citizen
  • Resident of the municipality in which you want to vote

Please review the following information regarding your voting rights in this state. Thank you for taking part in our democracy.

Voter Rights

The U.S. Constitution gives all citizens the right to vote.

I can register to vote in Maine if:

  • I am a United States citizen;
  • I live in a town or city in Maine; and
  • I am 17 years old and will be 18 years old by Election Day.  21-A MRSA §111.

If I am registered to vote in Maine, I can vote.  I do not need to show ID to get a ballot.  21-A MRSA §§111 and 671.

I may vote by absentee ballot instead of voting in person at the voting place.  I do not need a reason to vote by absentee ballot.  21-A MRSA §§751 and 753-A.

If I am not registered to vote, I can register on Election Day and vote.  (I must register in person and must show ID and proof of where I live.)  21-A MRSA §121

I cannot be turned away from my voting place.  I must be allowed to vote a challenged ballot.  (If I don’t have ID or proof of where I live, I will cast a challenged ballot.  I may be asked to show ID after the election.) 21-A MRSA §§121, 161 and 673.

If I am in line at the voting place at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day, I still may register and vote.  21-A MRSA §§127 and 626

I may see a sample ballot and get help on how to mark my ballot before I vote.  I also may ask for help to read or mark my ballot.  21-A MRSA §§651 and 672.

If I make a mistake, I can get a new ballot.  21-A MRSA §693.

I have the right to use Maine’s Accessible Voting System (AVS) at my voting place.  21-A MRSA §629(1)(A-1).

I may not be harassed when voting or be pressured about how to vote.  21-A MRSA §§672 and 682.

If I am under guardianship, I may vote.  Doe vs. Rowe, 156 F. Supp. 2d 35 (D. Me. 2001).

If I have any problems, or if I am not allowed to vote, I should call:

The Elections Division - 1-888-868-3763, or The Disability Rights Center - 1-800-452-1948 V/TTY.

Office of the Secretary of State
111 Sewall Street (101 State House Station), Augusta, ME  04333


Disability Rights Center of Maine
24 Stone Street, PO Box 2007, Augusta, ME  04338
Tel. 1-800-452-1948 V/TTY —