New Resident With Valid Out-of-State License

You must obtain a new Maine license within 30 days of becoming a resident of the State of Maine.

If you are moving to this state and hold a valid (not suspended or revoked) current or recently (within the past 5 years) expired out-of-state driver's license issued by another US state or by a Canadian province, you can obtain a Maine Class C license, including a REAL ID license, by visiting a Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles office. If you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL) from another US state, conversion must be processed by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles administrative office located at 101 Hospital Street in Augusta; call 207-624-9000 ext. 52122 for information on converting a CDL from another US state. Federal regulations prohibit the Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles from converting a Canadian CDL, or a commercial learner’s permit (CLP) issued by any jurisdiction, into a Maine CDL or CLP. If you hold a CLP or a Canadian CDL, you must convert to a Maine Class C license and complete the Maine CDL examinations process to be issued a Maine CDL. Call 207-624-9000 ext. 52122 for information on the CDL examinations process.

Steps to convert an out-of-state license to a standard Class C license include:

  1. Providing proof of:
    1. legal presence
    2. residency
    3. Social security number. If you believe you are ineligible for a social security number, you may be required to present documentation of ineligibility.
  2. Completing a vision screening. You may not be required to take a written and road test.
  3. Providing your out-of-state license, or, if your out-of-state license is no longer in your possession, a certified driving record, less than 30 days old, verifying the details of your out-of-state license.
  4. Paying the exam and license fees (these fees differ by license class.)
  5. If the name on your legal presence document and/or your out-of-state license is different than the name you currently have, you will need to provide supporting documents (i.e. marriage license, court order, divorce decree, etc.) to link the names together. For more information on name change documentation requirements, or for any other questions about converting your license, please call 207-624-9000 ext. 52114.

Additional requirements will apply for a REAL ID license, even if your out-of-state license is already a REAL ID; for more information about REAL ID see the REAL ID page or call 207-624-9000 ext. 52114.

Detailed information on laws, exams and licenses is available in booklet form. The Motorist Handbook and Study Guide is for Class C licenses and motorcycles. The Commercial Driver's Manual is the guide for CDL licenses. You can obtain either of these manual online or at any one of our branch offices or by contacting our Administrative Office.


When applying for a license in another state, a clearance/verification letter may be issued to individuals who at one time held a Maine Driver's License and have either lost their Maine issued Driver's License or have been asked to provide verification that the Maine Driver's License is in a valid status. Most states require the clearance/verification letter be less than 30 days old to be valid.

NOTE: Not all states accept clearance/verification letters