Maine Bureau of Rehabilitation Services
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Division for the Blind and Visually-Impaired
Tutoring is a service available to clients of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) and the Division for the Blind and Visually-Impaired (DBVI) that require additional educational training and assistance above and beyond classroom instruction, to meet Individual Plan for Employment (IPE) goals.
Tutoring may be necessary to assist clients that are struggling in a subject or require assistance in learning material that is not available in a classroom setting or through other means. Tutoring is provided by an individual that has above-average knowledge or proven expertise of the subject material for which the client is deficient and needs assistance.
- 2 years of post-secondary coursework (Associates Degree or higher preferred)
- Recommendation from Teacher, Peer, VR Counselor or other professional (Please attach a written recommendation to the application)
- Ability to adapt to the learning styles of the individual
- Experience working in an educational setting with people with a disability
- Effective communication skills with student, parent and counselor
The Bureau of Rehabilitation Services Central Office will maintain a list of approved Tutors. Tutors should be selected by the client and VR Counselor from the approved list.
- Tutors must submit an application; provide a resume and references to be considered an approved Tutor.
- All Tutors providing services must have a State of Maine criminal background check completed.
- The applicant may provide a copy of a previously completed State of Maine background check.
- DVR or DBVI will submit a request for a background check if one is not provided by the applicant.
- A Tutor may not be a close relative of the client.
- All applicants will be informed in writing concerning the outcome of the approval process for their application.
- If a Tutor applicant does not meet the education requirements, as noted above, please contact the local Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS) office for alternate approval mechanisms.
Tutors are considered independent contractors and must be registered as a vendor with the State of Maine, Division of Purchases, in order to do business with both DVR and DBVI, as a tutor. Payment is initiated through the standard vendor authorization process.
Applications to provide Tutoring services for clients of DVR and DBVI are included below. There is a fillable form and a printer-friendly version available to download.
Please return the completed application, resume and recommendations to Bureau of Rehabilitation Services, Attn. Timothy Small, 150 State House Station, Augusta, ME 04333. Please contact Tim at Timothy.E.Small@maine.gov or (207) 623-6799 with any questions.