Bureau of Insurance → Helpful Links
The following are some insurance related web sites that you may find helpful for general insurance information.
- Any Willing Pharmacy – (Provides Maine pharmacies with contact information to obtain the terms and conditions of pharmacy networks)
- Consumer Information Source - (National Association of Insurance Commissioners - NAIC) Search a national database for company information, complaints, financial statements and more
- Glossary of Insurance Terms - (Maine Bureau of Insurance)
- How Does My Insurance Company Rate? - Insurance companies are rated based on their financial strength and stability. Before you buy, check out the insurance company’s financial rating
- Maine Insurance Guaranty Association - (MIGA) pays covered claims as authorized by the Maine Insurance Guaranty Act, 24-A M.R.S. § 4431, et seq. when an insurance company becomes insolvent. MIGA is not an insurance company.
- Maine Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association - In the event that a member insurer is found to be insolvent the guaranty association provides protection (up to the limits spelled out in the Act) to Maine residents who are holders of life and health insurance policies and individual annuities with the insolvent insurer.
- System for Electronic Rate and Form Filings (SERFF) -- Insurance product filings (rate, rule, and forms) filed with the Maine Bureau of Insurance are available to the public through the SERFF Filing Access website.
- On-Line Fraud Reporting System (National Association of Insurance Commissioners - NAIC) - A national reporting system that can be used to report suspected fraudulent activities.
- US Department of Labor – for questions about your work-related benefits and rights
Emergency Management Information
- Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) - click the Navigation link to find topics of interest listed.
- National Flood Insurance Program - FEMA website
- Maine Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) - Contains information for disaster and emergency preparedness.
- Get Better Maine – (Maine Health Management Coalition) -- Resources for affordable care options and quality information on Maine doctors and hospitals.
- Compare Maine - Compare the costs and quality of healthcare procedures in Maine.
- Health Plan Report Card – (National Committee for Quality Assurance) -- An interactive tool designed to help you find the health plan that's right for you.
- Consumer and Patient Health Information – (Medical Library Association) Provides a list of the “Top 100 Health Websites You Can Trust”
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) – this US Department of Health and Human Services website offers information about your rights under HIPAA and provide answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the HIPAA Rules.
- MaineCare (Medicaid) – a Link to the Maine Department of Health and Human Services website discussing MaineCare services.
- Maine Guaranteed Access Reinsurance Association (MGARA) – website
- MaineRx - (Free Statewide Prescription Assistance Program)
- Maine Department of Human Services Office of Aging & Disability Services – includes information on the State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIP) and Local Help for People with Medicare.
- NeedyMeds.com – A source of information for people who need help with the cost of medicine and other healthcare expenses.
- Mental Health and Addiction Insurance Help
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse Coverage
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Consumer Guide to Disclosure Rights: Making the Most of Your Mental Health and Substance Abuse Disorder Benefits
- Medicare – The Medicare.gov website
- A Quick Look at Medicare – A consumer guide provided by the Medicare.gov website.
- Medicare State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) – this is a Maine DHHS webpage that may be helpful If you have Medicare insurance, or expect to have it soon, you may have questions or need help to understand your Medicare benefits.
- Understanding Medicare Enrollment Periods (Medicare.gov) – information provided the US Government for Medicare.
Insurance Carriers and Other Regulated Entities
- Maine Annual Data Reporting Requirements - (for Insurance Companies)
- Annual Statement Filing Instructions - Instructions and checklists for filing the annual and quarterly financial statement and state required reports
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) -- Organization of insurance regulators from the 50 states, the District of Columbia and the five U.S. territories, providing a forum for the development of uniform policy.
Individuals & Business Entities
Producers, Agencies, Adjusters, Consultants etc.
- Pearson Vue -- Provider of comprehensive, technology based testing and assessment services
- National Flood Insurance Program -- FEMA website - information and resources for insurance professionals
- National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR) -- Premier public-private partnership supporting the work of the states and the NAIC in re-engineering, streamlining and making uniform the insurance producer licensing process
- American Institute for CPCU (Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters) and the Insurance Institute of America -- Independent, nonprofit organizations offering educational programs and professional certification to people in all segments of the property and liability insurance business
- CPCU (Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter) Society -- A community of credentialed property and casualty insurance professionals who promote excellence through ethical behavior and continuing education
- Insurance Accounting & Systems Association (IASA) -- Non-profit, education association that strives to enhance the knowledge of insurance industry professionals
- Insurance Information Exchange -- Provider of information reports to insurance professionals and employers
- State Insurance Department Directory for the 50 States (NAIC)
- System for Electronic Rate and Form Filings (SERFF) -- Provides a cost-effective method of handling insurance policy rate and form filings between regulators and insurance companies