BUC - Employer Services
The Maine Department of Labor has an updated Unemployment Information website up. Please update any bookmarks that you might have to the following website address:
Unemployment is an insurance program providing temporary, partial wage replacement to workers who are unemployed through no fault of their own. The program is funded by Unemployment premiums paid by employers based on the amount of wages paid for covered employment. The Unemployment Premium or "tax" is paid on the first $12,000 only in gross wages an employer pays to an individual in a calendar year.
- Tax Publications and Forms
- Report New Hires
- Register for an Unemployment Tax account
- Respond to Separation Requests for Information
- File an Appeal
SIDES (State Information Data Exchange System)
SIDES E-Response provides an easy and efficient portal for electronically posting responses to separation information requests.
- No charge
- Reduces postal expenses
- Provides confirmation receipt
- Helps reduce unemployment tax rates by reducing improper payments
- Detects potential claim issues more timely
- Data checks to ensure exchange of complete and valid registration
Frequently Asked Questions
Quarterly Tax and Wage Reports
- About tax and wage reporting
- Tax rate information and array charts:
Services We Provide
- Assist employers with registering, filling quarterly wage reports, and making payments.
- Answer questions about liability, rates, seasonality, successorships and much more.
- Advisory services on unemployment insurance benefit charges and tax matters.
- Appellate services to resolve benefit eligibility and unemployment tax liability disputes.
- WorkShare, an alternative to layoffs during a temporary business downturn
- Speak to local groups to explain aspects of the unemployment law and system.
Videos – Employer Registration and Protect from higher unemployment taxes
- How to Register for Unemployment Tax and Create a ReEmployME Employer Account
- Protect your business from higher unemployment taxes