Home → Safety Grants
Highway Safety Grants
Grant funds are awarded based on crash and fatality data analysis of who, what, when, where and why. Fund opportunites must be traffic safety related, should include a proven countermeasure, and must address to these categories:
- Occupant Restraints (for adults and children);
- Traffic Records System Improvements and Emergency Medical Services;
- Teen Driver Safety and Aging Road User Safety;
- Police Traffic Services (speed and aggressive driving);
- Distracted and Drowsy Driving;
- Community Traffic Safety Programs;
- Impaired Driving (alcohol and drugs; youth alcohol)
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Safety;
- Motorcycle Safety.
Within these categories, if approved, funds may be used to support training, public information and education, equipment acquisition, staff support and program administration. Funded projects can provide direct services and/or system improvements.
A GUIDE FOR PARTNERING WITH YOUR HIGHWAY SAFETY OFFICE and the NHTSA Countermeasures That Work are helpful resource in identifying proven solutions; and the Highway Safety Grants Management Manual will provide you with all of the information you need to apply for a successful project.