Updated 2020 Writing Standards
The Writing strand provides learning targets in developmental progressions for each grade K-5. The standards then move to multi-grade spans in grades 6-8 and 9-12.
Essential Topics in ELA
- What about modes? Why writing types went away and what to do about it
- Three buckets: understanding the interplay of the ELA strands
Information to support understanding and implementation of the writing standards
- Text Types and Purposes. Modes of writing, or text types, has been moved out of rule (Maine's Learning Results). Details about text types and purposes may still be helpful for curriculum development and instructional planning, but these modes of writing will not inform accountability and assessment.
- Bibliography. From Appendix A of the Common Core State Standards, provides the research and reference foundation that informed the development of the writing standards.
- Evidence-Based Responses. Evidence-based responses support claims with evidence from a variety of sources including texts – print and digital – listening, viewing and observing.