Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)
- Federal Requirements and Background Information
- Recent Project Updates
- Frequently Asked Questions
- EVV System Setup Options
- Trainings and Videos
- Member Engagement
- E-Message Sign Up
- Contact Information
EVV stands for Electronic Visit Verification. Section 12006 of the 21st Century Cures Act mandates that states must implement an EVV system for all Personal Care Services (PCS) and Home Health Care Services (HHCS) that require an in-home visit by a provider. For information related to federal EVV requirements, please see the federal Medicaid Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) webpage.
An EVV system is used to verify the date, time, and site of a provider visit, as well as services provided and who provided the service to the MaineCare member in the member's home or in a community-based services setting. For a full list of policies and associated MaineCare services impacted, please see the Service Codes document. For a list of provider types and specialties who must use an EVV system, please see the Provider Type and Specialty document.
All impacted providers must begin using EVV by July 1, 2020, with the exception of Home Health providers providing services under Section 40, which has an implementation date of January 1, 2023. Section 40 providers may, at their discretion, choose to utilize an EVV system prior to the compliance deadline. Section 43, Hospice Services, will also be subject to EVV beginning on January 1, 2023.
- PCS Deadline Update - October 2019
- Address and Phone Number Issue - October 2019
- Section 43 Hospice Change - July 2019
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
See the EVV FAQs webpage for common questions about EVV.
The Department has developed an open EVV system platform which allows providers to utilize the State offered EVV system, or their own EVV system to connect with MIHMS.
State EVV System
If you would like to use the State’s EVV system, please review the State EVV Systems document.
Alternate EVV Systems
If you would like to utilize your own EVV system or a third party vendor’s EVV system, please review steps outlined in the Alternate EVV Systems document. See the Maine Alternate EVV System Integration Process Guide and the EVV Requirement Specification document for more detail.
This process is highly dependent on how long the provider and/or vendor takes to complete their steps in the process. If steps are completed within the recommended timeframes, then the estimated alternate EVV system integration process takes approximately eight weeks from start to finish. Providers are encouraged to plan a minimum of eight weeks for their alternate EVV system integration.
Training videos on a variety of topics are available, such as how to use the EVV system and how to integrate a third party system. We encourage you to view the training videos through the Learning Management System (LMS) system.
Video Format and Topics
- For providers who are using a third party EVV system, please see the Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Training – Third Party Application.
- For providers who are not using a third party EVV system, please see the Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) Training – Part 1 and 2.
LMS First Time Users
If you have not registered with the LMS, see the LMS First Time User Guide for assistance. To access the guide, go to the Health PAS Online Portal and log into your Trading Partner Account (TPA). Next, click on the section called "Trading Partner User Training" and you will see the link to the LMS First Time User Guide.
For assistance with registering or any other training related topic, please email the Medicaid Training Center.
EVV Member Letter - January 2019
In order to remain informed about EVV, please subscribe to our e-message service. The e-message service is an automated email messaging tool that we will use as the main communication method for EVV news and project developments. To ensure you receive important updates, please sign up for the MaineCare – Electronic Visit Verification (EVV) e-message service.
Please follow these steps to sign up:
- Enter your email address in the text box and select "Submit."
- Confirm your email address by entering it in the text box.
- Add a password if you wish (optional).
- Select "Submit."
- Click on the blue link at the bottom that says "Add Subscriptions."
- Scroll down to the section for the "Office of MaineCare Services" and check the box for "Electronic Visit Verification (EVV)" topic.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Submit."
- MaineCare's EVV email box
- Provider Services at 1-866-690-5585, option 3