Frequently Asked Questions - Brain Injury Services

Where can I get outpatient Neurorehabilitation?

Where can I get more information about Brain Injury support?

  • Brain Injury Association of America Maine Chapter

Helpline: 1-800-444-6443

Brain Injury Association Resource Guide (PDF)

What agencies are Brain Injury Waiver Providers?

I received a letter from KEPRO that I am medically eligible for the Brain Injury Waiver, what next?

  • Medical eligibility does not ensure you have funding under the Brain Injury Waiver. You will be contacted by letter and/or telephone if you have a funded offer under the waiver.

I received a letter/phone call that I have a funded offer under the Brain Injury Waiver, what next?

  • A Brain Injury Care Monitor will be in contact with you regarding what services you are seeking under the waiver and discuss what services are available in your geographic location. If services are available and if you are accepted by a Brain Injury Provider then a Brain Injury Care Monitor will meet with you to complete your Person Centered Plan of Care (PCP).

Will I receive services immediately?

  • Services are dependent on a service provider being able to provide the necessary services and accepting the applicant into their program.

How do I apply for services?

  • Please visit the How do I Apply section for information on the application/eligibility process.

I am currently receiving Home and Community Services in another state but will be moving to Maine. Am I automatically eligible for services in Maine?

  • No. Due to the fact that eligibility requirements vary from state to state, you must apply for Maine based benefits.

Besides a completed application, are there any other required documents needed to determine eligibility?

When you apply for MaineCare, you may be asked to provide some or all of the items below:

  • Copy of Power of Attorney, Conservator, or Guardianship documents
  • Documentation of all income sources and amounts (with the exception of Social Security and SSI)
  • Documentation of the value for property that is not the applicant's residence
  • Copies of health insurance cards including Medicare
  • Documentation of health insurance payments
  • Copy of trust agreement where the applicant is a grantor or beneficiary
  • Copy of annuity contract
  • Copy of life insurance policies owned by the applicant and/or their spouse
  • Copy of prepaid burial contracts
  • Declaration of contents held in safety deposit box
  • Documentation of liquid assets owned currently by the applicant and/or spouse, or those that have their name on them. These include:
    • Current statements on all savings and checking accounts, certificate of deposits, IRA or other investments
    • Copy of savings bonds that the applicant or spouse have an interest

Note that DHHS is expected to review the 60 months prior to application to determine if the applicant or their spouse gave away something of value without receiving equal value in return. This is called a 'transfer of asset,' and depending on what was transferred, when and to whom, it may result in a penalty. The penalty is based on the value of the transfer and results in a period of months MaineCare will not pay long term care expenses on behalf of the individual. To do this review we request:

  • Statements on all savings and checking accounts, certificate of deposits, IRA or other investments for the prior 12 months, and the statement on that same account for month 60 prior to application.
  • Documentation of values and use of all assets cashed in, closed, sold, transferred or otherwise liquidated during the 60 months prior to application.

Do not delay applying because something is not immediately available to you. This information can be obtained later in the interview process.

Where can I get help to find work?

One-Stop Career Centers located throughout Maine, offer information, advice and job search assistance. For information on jobs with the State of Maine visit State Jobs.

Where can I find housing options?

Where can I learn more about Disability Related Services?

  • Some great resources include:
    • Since 1978, Alpha One, a Center for Independent Living, has enabled thousands of people with disabilities to live more fully and more independently in all aspects of their lives, to learn more visit their website at
    • AccessMaineis a website developed by the Institute for Health Policy at the Edmund S. Muskie School for Public Service to provide resource information to Mainers with disabilities, their families and providers. To learn more visit
    • Maine’s Aging and Disability Resource Centers:
      • SeniorsPlus (Androscoggin, Oxford and Franklin Counties)
        P.O. Box 659, 8 Falcon Road, Lewiston, ME 04243-0659
        Telephone: 1-800-427-1241 or 207-795-4010
        TTY 207-795-7232
        FAX: 207-795-4009
        Web site:
      • Eastern Area Agency on Aging (Penobscot, Piscataquis, Washington andHancock Counties).
        450 Essex Street, Bangor, ME 04401
        Telephone: 1-800-432-7812 or 207-941-2865
        FAX: 207-941-2869
        Web site:
      • Southern Maine Area Agency on Aging (Cumberland & York Counties)
        136 US Rt. 1, Scarborough, ME 04074
        Telephone: 207-396-6503
        FAX: 207-396-6528
        Web site:
      • Spectrum Generations (Kennebec, Somerset, Waldo, Knox and SagadahocCounties)
        One Weston Court, Suite 203, Augusta, ME 04330
        Telephone: 1-800-639-1553
        FAX: 207-622-7857
        TTY: 1-800-464-8703
        Web site:
      • Aroostook Area Agency on Aging (Aroostook County)
        33 Davis St., Presque Ilse, ME 04769
        Telephone: 207-464-8703
        web site:

Where can I learn more about adaptive equipment assistance?

Where can I obtain legal assistance/advocacy services?

  • Volunteer Lawyer’s Project- VLP’s primary mission is to enhance legal assistance provided by the Maine Bar Association to low-income people of Maine. Learn more at or 1-800-442-4293
  • Pine Tree Legal Services-to locate an office near you please visit their website
  • Disability Rights Center – Advocating for Maine Citizens with Disabilities since 1977, please visit their website at
  • Maine Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program-Specially trained advocates investigate and resolve complaints made by, or on behalf of, a consumer of home care, hospice and adult day services as well as residents of adult family care homes, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and residential care facilities. For more information call 1-800-499-0229 (Voice/TTY) or visit

Where can I get assistance with my heating/energy expenses?

  • Please visit the Maine Housing website at www.mainehousing.orgfor more information on the low income home energy assistance program
  • Or you can visit your local community action program:
    • Aroostook Community Action Program - 1-800-432-7881 or
    • Community Concepts (Androscoggin and Oxford Counties) at 1-800-866-5588 or
    • Kennebec Valley Community Action Program ( Kennebec and Somerset Counties) at 1-800-542-8227 or
    • Penquis Community Action Program (Penobscot and Piscataquis Counties) at 1-800-215-4942 or
    • Peoples Regional Opportunity Program (Cumberland County) at 1-800-698-4959
    • Waldo County Community for Social Actionat 1-800-498-3025 or
    • Washington-Hancock Community Actionat 1-800-828-7544 or
    • Western Maine Community Action Program (Franklin County) at 1-800-645-9436 or
    • York County Community Action Corporationat 1-800-965-5762 or

Where can I get information on Property Tax refunds?

Where can I get information about employment and how that impacts benefits received from SSI or SSDI?

  • Community Work Incentives Coordinator (CWIC) Services are located at Maine Medical Center. There are currently five CWICs serving the entire state of Maine. They can be reached at 1-888-208-8700. More information about their services can be found at