Farmland Registration

Any farmland owner electing to register their farmland after July 1, 2012, may prohibit Incompatible Use within 50 feet of registered farmland.

  • Incompatible Use means the construction of new wells, drinking water springs, or water supply intake points. For example, if a field of registered farmland is 20 feet from a property boundary line, the owner(s) abutting land will be prohibited from installing any new wells, drinking water springs or water supply intake points within 50 feet of that boundary line.
  • Eligible farmland consists of tracts of land of 5 or more contiguous acres, which produce a gross annual income of at least $2,000 per year from the sale value of farm products in 1 of 2, or 3 of 5, calendar years preceding the date of application for registration. The owner of the registered farmland bears the burden of proof when there is a question about the eligibility of the land.
  • Farm products are plants and animals useful to humans, including fruits, berries, vegetables, dairy products, livestock and livestock products, poultry and poultry products, grains, forages, flowers, seeds, grasses, bees, Christmas trees and other similar products.
  • Eligible farmland does NOT include land used for woodlots, homes, farm buildings, roads, lawns or any area covered with non-crop vegetation.
  • Abutting land is real estate that shares a common boundary, or portion of a boundary, with registered farmland. Except in the case of the variance (described in the law), a municipality may NOT issue a building or use permit allowing any prohibited development or use of land abutting registered farmland.

Farmland Registration Forms

A farmland owner must complete several forms for before registering farmland at the Registry of Deeds in which the farmland is located.

For more information, please contact: Leigh Hallett,