DACF Home → Bureaus & Programs → Bureau of Agriculture → Agricultural Resource Development Division → Agricultural Fair Program → Maine Pull Events Commission
Maine Pull Events Commission
On this page:
About the Pull Events Commission
The Pull Events Commission is tasked with establishing the qualifications and procedure for the certification of Pull Superintendents and Assistant Pull Superintendents and guidelines for dealing with violations at events. It also periodically reviews the statutory rules for pulls and recommends to the Legislature changes as necessary. The commission gives advice and recommendations to the Commissioner on request or as the commission considers necessary and coordinates, develops and conducts Pull Superintendent training seminars.
The Pull Events Commission is authorized by Title 5, section 12004-G, subsection 3-A. Appointments to the Pull Events Commission are for terms of 2 years. The appointing authority fills a vacancy for a full 2-year term and may remove a commission member for cause, which includes poor attendance. The chair shall make recommendations to the appointing authority concerning a removal.
It consists of the following ten members.
- Two members appointed by a statewide association representing owners of draft horses and oxen who participate in pulling events.
- One member appointed by an association representing owners of oxen who participate in pulling events.
- One member appointed by a statewide farmers association representing owners of draft oxen.
- One fair Superintendent appointed by a state association of agricultural fairs.
- One representative appointed by state humane organizations.
- One member, appointed by the Commissioner, representing the general public.
- One member, appointed by the Commissioner, representing the animal Pulling industry.
- One member appointed by the Animal Welfare Advisory Council.
- One member appointed by a statewide farmers association representing owners of draft horses.
Applications / Forms
- Initial Application for Certification of Pull Superintendent (DOC)
- Renewal Application Form for Pull Superintendent Certification (DOC)
- Application to Conduct Pull Event(s) (DOC)
- Pull Event Results (DOC)
- Pull Evaluation Form (DOC)
- Chapter 15 Rules for Superintendents and Assistant Superintendents of Pull Events (DOCX)
- Chapter 226 Rules Governing the Administration of Certian Substances to Animals Entered in Pulling Competitions 2017 (DOCX)
|Date and Time||Location||Additional Information|
|March 30, 2023 9:00 AM||Deering Building, Room 101, 90 Blossom Lane, Augusta, ME||Agenda (PDF)|
Current Pull Events Commission Members Serving Two Year Terms
Maine Draft Horse and Ox Association
P.O. Box 465
Kingfield, ME 04947
Steven Smith Jr.
P.O. Box 71
Phillips, ME 04966
Animal Pull Industry
336 So. Beech Hill Rd.
Pittston, ME 04345
487 Main St North
Searsmont, Maine 04973
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation & Forestry
28 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Maine Assoc. of Agricultural Fairs
386 Lovell Road
Fryeburg, Maine 04037
Farmers Draft Horse Association
36 Hideaway Drive
Sidney, ME 04330
Farmers Draft Oxen Association
35 Holway Rd
Sidney, Maine 04330
Pine Tree Ox Assoc.
Russell Hine (Pull Commission Chair)
545 Park St.
Livermore Falls, Maine 04254
State Humane Organization