Location Lat 44.351855 / Lon -68.793291
172 Indian Bar Road, Brooksville.
Hours / Season Open all year; 9:00 a.m. to sunset daily unless otherwise posted at the gate. No fee.
Scenic natural area of upland forests, rocky shores, and an offshore island provide opportunities for hiking, nature appreciation, and cross-country skiing in winter. Picnic tables are available, along with an area to launch canoes and kayaks.
Bordering Penobscot Bay in Brooksville, Holbrook Island Sanctuary protects many different ecosystems, which visitors can explore and enjoy. From the beaches, mud flats, and rocky coast to the tops of steep hills that are actually old volcanoes, the sanctuary hosts a great diversity of plant and animal life. Stands of spruce-fir, pine, and mixed hardwoods, together with wetlands and meadows, encourage a multitude of colorful wildflowers that bloom from early spring until late fall. Down through these forests and old fields and around the marshes and ponds, alert visitors can see abundant signs of deer, fox, muskrat, beavers, otter, porcupine, bobcat and coyote.
If you are interested in learning about geology around the state, check out the Maine Geological Survey Searchable Database.
Download a copy of the Holbrook Island Sanctuary brochure. (pdf format 1.7 MB)
Fresh Pond Nature Trail Guide (pdf format, 2 pages, 782 KB) Winter image links included.
- Cross-country skiing
- Hiking (trails)
- Sea kayaking
- Watchable wildlife
- Stay on designated trails. Trails are for walking only.
- Leave all natural items for others ot enjoy. Please do not pick wildflowers, cut trees or shrubbery.
- Observe wildlife form a distance where it is not disturbed or flushed.
- Keep pets on a leash not more than 4 feet long. Clean up after your pets.
- Use only charcoal for fires and build fires only in grills provided. Fires are not permitted on beaches.
- Camping is not permitted.
- Rules and regulations are posted on the park bulletin board.
- See Rules for State Parks and Historic Sites
Consider lending a hand. Contact us if you would like to help with stewardship or maintenance work.
View the Maine Parks and Lands EVENT CALENDAR
- Picnic area
- See Visitor Accessibility
Holbrook Island Sanctuary
PO Box 35
Brooksville, Maine 04617
download brochure (1.7MB/PDF)
Directions and Parking
Borders Penobscot Bay south of Bucksport in Brooksville