http://mainetrailfinder.comMaine Trail Finder
FishingFishing Hiking (trails)Hiking (trails) Watchable wildlifeWatchable wildlife

property guide photo

Description

Please check for access and COVID-19 updates by using this link to the Bureau's Safety page.

A 27-acre property near the south end of Mattawamkeag Lake, made famous by Teddy Roosevelt who visited the area beginning in 1878. As a young man under the guidance of his lifelong friend and guide Bill Sewall, Roosevelt camped at the southern end of Mattawamkeag Lake and hunted and fished throughout the area. It was reported that, each day, Roosevelt would take his bible and hike to a beautiful point of land at the confluence of the West Branch of the Mattawamkeag River and First Brook where he would read the bible. A plaque at the site commemorates Roosevelt's love for the area. It was erected in 1921 by Roosevelt biographer Hermann Hagedorn and it reads:

"This place, to which a great man in his youth liked to come to commune with God and with the wonder and beauty of the visible world, is dedicated to the happy memory of THEODORE ROOSEVELT. Stranger, rest here and consider what one man, having faith in the right and love for his fellow man was able to do for his country."

Letter from Roosevelt about his experiences in Maine.

Roosevelt and Bible Point.

Maine Geological Survey Searchable Database.

(back to top)

Activities

  • Fishing
  • Hiking (trails)
  • Watchable wildlife

(back to top)

Rules

Consider lending a hand. Contact us if you would like to help with stewardship or maintenance work.

(back to top)

Services and Facilities

(back to top)

When to Visit

Site is not staffed.

(back to top)

Location

Island Falls, Maine

property locator map

Fees

current fees
park passes

Contact

Bible Point State Historic Site
c/o Bureau of Parks and Lands
106 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME 04401
(207) 941-4014

Current Weather

Directions and Parking

Get Google map and directions

From Island Falls, take the Merriman Road to its end, then follow the hiking trail along the western shore of the West Branch of the Mattawamkeag River approximately one mile.