Re-Certification: Information You Should Know

Our records indicate that you are currently due to re-certify your eligibility for benefits. Before you get started on your review, there are a few things you should know.

  • You should allow approximately thirty (30) minutes to complete the re-certification process. If you exit prior to submission you will have to start the process at the beginning.
  • In this process, we show the information about the people in your home. We will show the household’s money and bills. It's a good idea to have pay stubs or benefit check stubs with you, as well as the bills due each month for housing, utilities and child care.
  • Before you can complete the review, we may need proof of some of the answers you have given. In some cases, you will also need to talk or meet with a worker. We will contact you by mail or phone if we need more information or need to schedule a meeting.
  • This re-certification process is only for Food Supplement, MaineCare, Child Care and Cash Assistance (TANF).

It's a good idea to gather the information listed below. Having this information will help you compare the information we have and make any corrections or additions to the information. The more complete your information is when you submit it, the faster a worker will be able to process it.

Information About Household Members

  • Full names and dates of birth for the people who are part of your case.
  • If someone is working, pay stubs for that person's job(s). We'll show how much each person makes at their job, how often they get paid, and how many hours they work. You will need to provide to the Department four weeks verification of all income in order to complete your review.
  • Benefit check stubs or award letters for types of income like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Child Support. We'll show when these types of benefits started, how much they get paid, and how often they get paid. You may need to provide verification of this income to the Department in order to complete your review.
  • If someone is self-employed, last year's tax returns for their self-employment (if they filed taxes for the business). Otherwise, try to gather information about their income and expenses for the business. Verification of self-employment income will need to be provided to the Department in order to complete your review.
  • If anyone in the home is covered by a health insurance policy, information about the policy that covers them. We'll show the policy holder's name, whether the policy covers services from a doctor, the insurance company name and address, the policy number, group number, and when the coverage began.

Hide -

Information About Expenses You Pay

  • How much you pay each month for housing (things like rent, lot rent, mortgage, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, or mobile home loan payments).
  • How much you pay each month for utilities (things like heat, electricity, gas, phone, water, sewer and trash removal).
  • If you pay for someone's care (for example, day care for your children), how much you pay and who provides the care.
  • You may need to provide verification of expenses to the Department in order to complete your review.

Hide -

Information About Your Assets

  • Information regarding your assets. By assets, we mean things like bank accounts, stocks or bonds, trust funds, money that is owed to you, annuities, certificates of deposits, retirement accounts, vehicles, homes or other real estate, life insurance policies, personal property that is being kept as an investment, and things like burial insurance, burial trusts, cemetery plots, and other items for burial. For these assets, it's a good idea to know:
    • The value of each asset.
    • For vehicles and real estate, how much you still owe on the asset.
    • The name, address, and account number for the bank or other institution where the asset is held.
  • Whether the asset is owned with another person.

Hide -

Keep in mind that if you don't have a way to get the information we've asked for, a worker may be able to help you get it.

Policy Questions? You can contact DHHS Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm at: 1-855-797-4357 (HELP) or TTY users can call Maine relay 711. You can also email DHHS at: