New Application: Getting Started

Before you get started on your application, there are a few things you should know.

  • In this application, we will ask you questions about the people in your home, your money and your bills. To answer these questions, it's a good idea to have your pay stubs or benefit check stubs with you, as well as the bills you pay each month for housing, utilities and child care.
  • Before you can get benefits, we may need proof of some of the answers you have given. In some cases, you will also need to talk or meet with a worker. We will contact you by mail or phone if we need more information or need to schedule a meeting.
  • This application is only for Food Supplement, MaineCare, Child Care and Cash Assistance (TANF).
  • For programs other than Child Care, you have the right to have another person apply for benefits for you. This person is called your "Authorized Representative", or AR. You'll have a chance to appoint an AR later in this application. To be eligible for Child Care, you must apply on your own behalf.

It's a good idea to gather the information listed below. Having this information will help you answer the questions in the application. The more complete your application is when you submit it, the faster a worker will be able to process it.

Information About Household Members

  • Full names and dates of birth for the people who are applying for benefits.
  • If you have children in your home whose mother or father is not living with them, the names of those absent parents.
  • If someone in your home is pregnant, the due date for that pregnancy.
  • If someone in your home is disabled or blind, whether the person has an official decision from the Social Security Administration that they are disabled or blind.
  • If someone is working, pay check stubs for that person's job(s). We'll be asking how much each person makes at their job, how often they get paid, and how many hours they work.
  • Benefit check stubs or award letters for types of income like Social Security, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Child Support. We'll ask when these types of benefits started, how much they get paid, and how often they get paid.
  • If someone is self-employed, last year's tax returns for their self-employment (if they filed taxes for the business). Otherwise, try to gather information about their income and expenses for the business.
  • If anyone in the home is covered by a health insurance policy, information about the policy that covers them. We'll ask for the policy holder's name, whether the policy covers services from a doctor, the insurance company name and address, the policy number, group number, and when the coverage began.
  • If someone is getting Medicare, information about when their Medicare began and their Health Insurance Claim number (some of this information is available on their Medicare, or "Red, White and Blue" card).

Hide -

Information About Expenses You Pay

  • How much you pay each month for housing (things like rent, lot rent, mortgage, property taxes, homeowner's insurance, or mobile home loan payments).
  • How much you pay each month for utilities (things like heat, electricity, gas, phone, water, sewer and trash removal).
  • If you pay for someone's care (for example, day care for your children), how much you pay and who provides the care.

Hide -

Information About Your Assets

  • If you're applying for Food Supplement, we'll ask about the total amount of money you have at home and in your checking accounts and savings accounts.
  • If you are applying for health care benefits we'll ask for more details about assets. By assets, we mean things like bank accounts, stocks or bonds, trust funds, money that is owed to you, annuities, certificates of deposits, retirement accounts, vehicles, homes or other real estate, life insurance policies, personal property that is being kept as an investment, and things like burial insurance, burial trusts, cemetery plots, and other items for burial. For these assets, it's a good idea to know:
    • The value of each asset.
    • For vehicles and real estate, how much you still owe on the asset.
    • The name, address, and account number for the bank or other institution where the asset is held.
    • Whether the asset is owned with another person.

Hide -

Keep in mind that if you don't have a way to get the information we've asked for, a worker may be able to help you get it.

Policy Questions? You can contact DHHS Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm at: 1-855-797-4357 (HELP) or TTY users can call Maine relay 711. You can also email DHHS at: